1934 - Začala stavba kostola, ktorý sa stal kostolom Sv. Cyrila a Metoda
Tradition of faith and Service
100 years of Archdiocese of Vancouver (1908-2008)
Archbishop William Duke created the St. Michael's parishin 1934. With a donation of $559 from the estate of Jane M. Corcoran and a great deal of volunteer work by parishioners, a church was built on Braid Street. Work began June 15, 1934, and midnight Mass (at Christmas?) was celebrated in the building the same year. It was blessed by Archbishop Duke on June 30, 1935.
A new hall was built in 1941 and a new rectory started to be built.
The church was sold fro $45,000 to a Slovak community in 1960 and a new parish - Sts Cyril and Methodius - was established by Archbishop Duke on May 3, 1960 as a Mission for Slovak people.
For the first 40 years the parish was served for by the Jesuit order.
List of pastors:
- 1960-1969 Fr. Wiliam Lacko, SJ
- 1969-1976 Fr. John Zabka, SJ
- 1976-1981 Fr. Joseph Svec, SJ
- 1981-1993 Fr. Wiliam Lacko, SJ
- 1993-1999 Fr. John Kadlec, SJ
- 1999-2002 Fr. Jozef Menus
- 2002-2007 Fr. Juraj Kopanicky
- 2007-2007 Fr. Gabriel de Chadarevian, OP
- 2008-present Fr. Juraj Kopanicky